Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of origin, religion, creed or political affiliation. To support this work, the General Direction of the MSF Operational Centre Brussels (OCB) is looking for a: Communication and Fundraising Director (m/f)
The OCB Communication and Fundraising Director reports directly to the OCB’s General director and is a member of the MSF OCB management team. S/He is in charge of managing the External Communication and Fundraising department of MSF OCB. S/he guides the communication and fundraising priorities of MSF in Belgium and the public positioning world-wide for the field projects run by the OCB in close cooperation with the Operations, Medical and Analysis Directorates.
The Communication Department is structured into 4 units:
- the operational communication unit (Combo + Creative content team)
- the Belgian communication unit
- the Belgian fundraising unit
- the Belgian digital unit
The department has a team of 3 middle managers and 45 permanent staff.
The OCB Communication and Fundraising Director:
- Leads and ensures a good functioning of the Communication and Fundraising Department: definition of clear and robust strategies and priorities; ensure team management and budget follow up, assuring a good team dynamic within the department and/with other departments.
- Triggers reflection on organizational change and set-up revision required to allow teams to meet at best their objectives.
- Guides and stimulates MSF OCB public positioning, messaging and speaking out strategies
- Inspires and supervises the definition and the impactful implementation of public communication and fundraising strategies in Belgium.
- Stimulates reflection on innovative fundraising strategies with colleagues of the OCB group.
- Ensures capacity in the department to execute crisis communications strategies to manage critical incidents in countries where we work
- Is responsible for taking decisions related to Fundraising and Communication resources mobilization at time of emergencies (emergency appeal,com resource planning and set up/coordination with MSF international platforms).
- Develops a networking capacity with media, academics, civil society etc. with the objective to stimulate debates and innovative ideas within the organization.
- Represents the organization in public and act as spokesperson when required.
- Participates actively in OCB / international platforms and collaborates and represents OCB with the MSF movement.
- Is responsible for the good information sharing within the OCB group on strategies, objectives, development of common initiative.
- Master in Communications, International Relations, Marketing or similar area
- At least 5 years’ experience in management positions.
- MSF field and operational experience is a plus.
- Solid experience in team management, priority setting and change management
- Clear leadership capacities. Excellent team-player. Promoting the OCB management values.
- Capacity to develop strategic visions with regards to Communication and Fundraising matters
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Resistance to stress.
- Creative and dynamic. Open to new ideas and innovations
- Fluent in English. French and Dutch are major assets.
- Flexibility in working hours and availability for travel (field, other sections)
- Adherence to MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust, Empowerment
- Adherence the MSF Behavioral Commitments
- Open-end contract – Full time position – based in Brussels.
- Moral commitment of 4 years.
- Starting date: September 2020
Deadline for application: 10th of June 2020
CV + cover letter to be sent to Sarah Laevens by e-mail Recruit-HQ-DG@brussels.msf.org with “Communication & Fundraising Director” in the title.
Please name your application documents (CV and cover letter) with your LAST NAME. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.