About the role
Shopify Plus is looking for a Director of Marketing to elevate and expand our existing footprint in EMEA by growing brand awareness, shifting brand perception and driving pipeline and revenue. We’re looking for someone creative and data-informed who will define what excellence in enterprise integrated marketing should like for Shopify Plus in EMEA. Reporting into the Head of Global Demand Generation, you will be shaping our GTM strategy based on insights, outlining a vision, and bringing together local and international teams to execute.
The Marketing Director will work hand-in-hand with the local, regional GM and their teams. You have experience managing senior marketers across the full spectrum and can seamlessly move between campaigns, content, product marketing, acquisition, cross-sell, brand, communications, design, infrastructure, and operations. You are performance- and pipeline focused, and have deep knowledge and hands-on experience developing and evolving marketing funnels/lifecycles in your past. At the same time, you understand the relationship between brand and conversion, and can foster a culture of creativity so Shopify Plus stands out and breaks through the noise of the markets. As Director of Marketing, you will possess deep knowledge of our product, its product-market fit across EMEA, and be able to partner closely with our HQ product marketing teams to advocate for local buyer needs.
You will be responsible for hiring, managing, and developing a team of impactful marketers across EMEA. The Director of Marketing is a people-first manager, focused on setting and holding high standards of your team. You care deeply about your team, and maintain a coach’s mindset. You succeed through your team’s successes, and create the conditions for them to test, learn, and build in Shopify. This is a player-coach role, where you are comfortable with rolling up your sleeves as well as providing mentorship to others.
As the Director of Marketing, you will build relationships and working models across the Headquartered teams, based predominantly in Waterloo and Toronto, Canada, sharing insights, and communicating and advocating for the needs of the local region. You will have a seat at the leadership table to be able to present and engage in strategic discussions affecting the future of Shopify Plus in EMEA and around the world.
What’ll you be responsible for:
- Building, managing and coaching an impact-focused marketing team.
- Direct and support market research collection, analysis, and interpretation of market data for short- and long-term market forecasts, reports, budgets and ROI.
- Lead annual marketing investment planning and strategy locally as well as with HQ.
- Maintain brand standards and ensure compliance across all marketing and communications channels.
- Identify competitors, evaluate their strategies and positioning and devise counter-strategies.
- Mobilizing teams in EMEA and partnering with teams in HQ and APAC to execute integrated marketing programs including digital, field, virtual, PR, communications, and more.
- EMEA marketing lifecycle management from awareness to acquisition through to conversion.
- Managing the relationship between senior leaders in EMEA with Marketing, ensuring insights and strategies are being communicated to other teams in marketing.
- Develop a bi-directional feedback loop to foster strong collaboration with sales and marketing teams, driving a culture of constant improvement Career development and management with your people.
- Experience in many industries, not just retail and commerce.
- Experience working in regional and headquartered teams.
- Strong brand, product marketing, acquisition and retention experience.
- Deep P&L knowledge and experienceHas managed medium to large teams across marketing.
- Ability to report to executive management.
- Strong data and analytical skills.
- Have proven ability to build and scale marketing business models.
- Have a deep experience in EMEA markets, including UK, Ireland, Germany, Netherlands.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2019 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify’s commitments.
This job posting will be open until we hire the right candidate. We have a commitment to respond to applications within 2 weeks and we look forward to reviewing your application!
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work (…we’ve been through this interview process after all 😏) and we truly value your time. Luke is looking forward to reading your application. If your CV stands for itself, that’s great, but we always love to find out more about people, so feel free to include a cover letter.